shawnhilton3363

Shawn Hilton's Blog

Where I will post upcoming event's, news, Release information and excerpts for all upcoming books.

What is wrong with people?

I have come to a scary realization today. A person whom I recently met, who published a graphic novel script. The author was being unnecessarily abused by reviewers. Now okay, this happens. We all get bad reviews. Which is why I keep asking all the people who have bought and liked the book, if you generally liked it, please be kind enough to write a review and post it, on either GoodReads or Amazon not that it has helped that much. Ratings are great but other readers like to see what you thought, and we have not gotten that many actual reviews for Fire and Ice.

But anyway back to my story. So she was being unnecessarily abused by reviewers. What does this mean? It means if a reviewer doesn't like a book, they find every little problem and instead of presenting it in a way that is politely helpful, they go out of their way to be rude and belligerent. Their opinions tend to get lost in the fact that they were rude, so helpful or not they get ignored.

This though was not what caught me off guard. What caught me off guard is the fact that one of the rude people, it seems is a published author. I chose not to use his name in this post, because 1) it would bring attention to him and his writing, that due to his rudeness, I have no desire to read, review or submit anyone to his personality. 2) Even though sadly, if he writes with as much dedication as he put into being rude, it could possibly be a good book, but because of the sheer amount of vitriol that he has slung at this other author, I would hate to see how he spoke to anyone who did not like his work.

Now even a bad review can be helpful, and some writers look forward to them more than the good reviews, but you have to do it in way that shows you are being helpful. You are trying to show plot problems, editing mistakes, and so on, you can do this by saying what you liked as well, and being rude for the sake of being rude is not acceptable.

I simply could not believe that another author would or could talk this way to someone knowing that what you say on the internet can and will reflect on your work. That being said, I know we have people out there who have read Fire and Ice and liked the story, so I would like to take this chance to ask you if you could write a review. Tell others what you thought of it. If you would like to write a review, and do not know where you could post your review that it would be helpful, good or bad, feel free to send me a message here on Facebook, or an Email which most of you should have. We need your help.

Thanks Shawn